Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sex

So this week in my Appalnet account there were three advertisements regarding sex. One was Condom Bingo. I guess instead of the little see through plastic things, they use condoms to mark their boards. The prize for winning? More condoms and sex stuff. There was also another sex event but I forgot the name. But just to show you that I'm not making this stuff up here is the last headline I saw: Sex Talk And Blow Pops - 02/12. Here is the description of the event: "Come find out all your sexual health questions! FREE PIZZA AND BLOW POPS! Submit anonymous questions by boxes in health services & SRC or find us on face book."

Are you serious? I wonder why people have so many sexual health questions? Maybe its because we are handing out condoms like tic tacs and people are being bribed in with pizza and blow pops. I know this is a wild idea but maybe if people kept it in their pants STDs would not be so rampant. I guess it's rocket science when it comes to figuring out how not to get STDs.

A lot of people give Mark Driscoll a hard time because he talks about sex a lot. The Baptist Press stupidly and legalistically ripped him this week with an article saying that he is too vulgar. But with events like this on college campuses, I say keep talking about it! For so long the church has been silent about sex. The only words that are ever said about sex are: "Save it for marriage." That's it. If you can't talk about sex and learn about it the right way at church then we are going to learn about it from society.

I don't know if I agree with Driscoll, in saying that sex is another type of religion. I do believe, however, that it is a type of worship to the god of self. Sex is held in such high esteem to the world, like some denominations hold the gift of tongues. I've heard some people say that they don't feel like a true Christian because they have yet to speak in tongues. Which is not true. But in the worship of self, sex is like tongues. The world says you have not truly worshipped yourself and brought the most pleasure to yourself unless you have sex. That is the "gospel" the world is preaching at us and they are using condoms as "gospel tracts."

So my request to the Church is this: "Let's talk about sex, baby."

1 comment: