Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Growing Up While the World Grows Down

This past weekend I was blowing leaves into the woods next to my house. I kept looking at the woods and it dawned on me just how small they were. This stretch of trees used to be like a forest to me when I was younger. I would play in those woods all the time and it just seemed like I could get lost in there. These woods even contained my favorite climbing tree but it was chopped down years ago. Although, I'm sure that there is no way that tree would be able to hold me if it were still standing.

But these woods made me think about how the world and everything in it just seems to get smaller and smaller as I time goes by. I remember when I used to only come up to my mom's hip and I would look up at her and think, I'm never going to be that tall. Now, my mom looks up at me. There is also this cord that hangs down in our garage that you pull to manually control the garage door. This certain red cord used to seem so far out of reach. My friend John and I used to try to jump and touch it but we failed time after time. Now, this cord hits me on the head if I walk right under it. Another friend of mine, was telling me the other day that he was talking to a guy in one of his classes and the guy he had never met before ended up being the cousin of my girlfriend's room mate. He told me he never realized how the small the world was.

When you put things in perspective, its a small world after all. The older we get, the bigger we get, and the more experiences we have, the world gets smaller and smaller. However, this principle does not apply to God. The closer I get to Him and the more I learn about Him, He gets bigger and bigger. When I was younger and didn't know much about God and was far away from Him, God seemed so simple. He just seemed like this old man who sat in heaven and gave us these ten rules to live by and that's all folks. But the more I read about Him, my previous thoughts fade away and I get this clearer view of a God who is so Big, Powerful, Amazing, etc. that I can't help but be amazed by and worship.

Realizing how small I am and how small the world I live in is and then realizing how Big God is, I can't help but feel some what insignificant. Then I remember what He has done for us. He, being so big and powerful, stooped down to our level. He left His throne in heaven and came to this small blue dot in the universe to show us how much He loves us.

So as the woods next to my house seem to shrink with time, God is magnified as I draw closer to Him and by this I am amazed.

No comments: